FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting charged for a stopover
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:47 am
skywardhunter

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan
I have an interesting update. I called my credit card company today to ask about this situation.
On 4 separate phone calls Emirates had refused to change my flight unless I paid the unfair stopover fee. They had told me that flights were available within my fare class. Despite the fact they eventually wavered this unfair charge I was told incorrect information and the delay ended up in my chosen flights selling out and me having to travel a day earlier. My credit card provider has recommended me to dispute the cost of the whole flight. They were in breach of contract in what they did.
First off I have to ask Emirates for a refund. If they refuse my credit card provider will open a dispute.
I am going to follow this advice.
I think that's unethical and it saddens me to see how American credit cards allow consumers to do this. You travelled didn't you? Do you genuinely believe you are owed the entire trip for free just because of that inconvenience? I'm not saying EK is in the right and shouldn't offer some gesture of goodwill, though I don't see that happening. But a dispute of the full amount feels like theft and/or fraud to me (even though it likely doesn't meet the technical definitions thereof)