FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Freedom VISA or Chase Pay acceptance at Smith's (Kroger)
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:40 am
rasheed

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by storewanderer
And as someone in Smiths territory, Chase doing 5% back at grocery stores starting April 1 makes the decision to "shop elsewhere that still accepts Visa" that much easier.
I was actually not planning to change how much I shop at Smiths due to the Visa acceptance decision, and just start to use a different card type there since not all of the cards I carry are Visa, but this promotion from Chase is going to really push me away from Smiths.
I tried to get Kroger to tell me which stores are supporting Chase Pay, and I could not get an answer. We have seen some pictures in the contactless thread of some self-checkout Kroger stores supporting the Chase Pay QR code at the self-checkout area only (we are not talking about the Samsung Pay version). If there are any Smith's that do support Chase Pay QR, theoretically, they would support Chase Visa Credit after the April cut-off date via that workaround because they would have a different negotiated discount rate, but there is just such little documentation out there. However, it also doesn't appear Chase or Kroger are willing to promote that conversation at the moment with just a few weeks to go before the Smith's change.