FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador Experiences 2019
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:03 am
VaBeachGirl

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Washington DC - The Wharf

IC Washington DC - The Wharf

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes but not quite as happy as I used to be. I was this hotel's very first guest when they opened in Oct 2017 and have stayed here about 15 times since then.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Stayed here twice since the Feb 1 changes. Both times booked Standard Room at Government Rate. Received Executive Riverview Suite the first stay (usually the room I receive unless given a better suite) and the second stay received King Promenade (first time I've ever not received a suite!)

How are the rooms?
Modern, with a great view of the wharf and Potomac River. The King Promenade is standard sized, on the 4th floor but has a really nice patio with a table and chairs.

How is the exec. lounge?
There isn't one.
​​​The Royal Ambassador breakfast is the buffet only, which is small and on a side table but not bad. The hot items include scrambled eggs, potatoes (which are amazing), meat, oatmeal, sunny side up eggs (individually portioned). You can order pancakes or waffles from the server. There are also pastries and individually portioned fruit, yogurt, granola, avocado toast, smoked fish.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Small bowl of seasoned peanuts, 4 cookies, fruit and large glass bottle of evian (same as before Feb 1)

How was the minibar?
A few beers, Johnny Walker Black, Tito's vodka, gin, 375 ml bottles of red and white wine, sparkling water, mixers. However, with the tax and service charge, a $32 bottle of wine will max out your $50 daily limit!
Also, on 3 of my last 4 stays here, the minibar has been locked and the front desk hasn't been able to remotely unlock it. It has taken 1 to 2 hours to get someone to come up and unlock it.
This hotel is not good about refilling it, either. On 2 night stays, it never gets refilled.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
Still a relatively new hotel with great views. Usually, all the staff know me by name and remember I was their first guest

Apparently, I exceeded the $50/day minibar by $1 one day, but when I checked out, they just took it off the bill.

Location at The Wharf

-Bad
Breakfast was included in my room rate plus as RA have free breakfast now. I checked out and verified the bill was correct but a few days later checked my credit card bill and saw I was charged for breakfast (called the hotel and they took care of it, but still...)

Possibly getting stingy on my room upgrades, especially when the website shows suites are available (I was getting used to being upgraded to some of their higher category suites). I've got several more stays booked over the next few months so we'll see...

Minibar sometimes locked and its unable to be unlocked remotely

Minibar tax and service charge is ridiculous here

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes

Would you return?
Yes