FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Panama PTY detains 100's of passengers daily! I was one of them this week
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:38 pm

Hi guys, ive not logged in for a few days - funnily enough im travelling to other latam countries, without any other problems! (brazil, argentina, chile, ecuador etc)
I travel a lot for my business (banking) and am used to visa free access to most countries with no hassles so I was extremely surprised at what happened in Panama.
I called an attorney in the US to see what they could dig up because I rely on being able to travel freely and cant afford to have a repeat of my panama ordeal.
He found out that i have a warrant open from a speeding ticket years, ago that has flagged me up on the US side.
He said that the US shares all its criminal record data freely with Panama, Mexico and Canada and actually controls its borders by using these countries to enforce its criminal laws and restrictions.
He has since spoken to the DA office and got the warrant quashed so it will not affect me again.
HOWEVER - there remains a high risk that my details may NOT be removed from these countries databases and I could still be detained/denied again if I visit any of these 3 in the future.
This is a truly worry over extension of US power into foreign territories who are compliant to its overbearing stance on 'border protection' (i.e. same as GUANTANAMO).
In reality I presented zero risk to panama, but they willingly detain and deport anyone with any criminal history of ANY kind (no matter how small) due to US pressure to do so. They sent me back the way i had come in - i.e. via Bogota.
Wierdly I was approved for a US ESTA last year but didnt travel due to a work issue and had no knowledge of an open US warrant, until i had to endure this unpleasant experience and I do not accept that its my own fault, or that I should have known better.
My travel thru panama should not automatically trigger a criminal record check against US databases. the US should confine its criminal sanctioning to its own territories and not enforce it further afield - especially when it results in the 3rd country actually taking such a hard line to enforce these policies in the hope of gaining favour from the US agents working within its immigration department. (i saw US lanyards and a notebook with the US seal on the front so assume they were US agents, but they didnt speak to me)
I can assure you that the UK authorities are unhappy about a UK national being detained in panama and if I had been granted a phone call to my embassy, or my lawyer I would have been able to pressure for an earlier release, but they simply held me in detention without trial or information, for as long as they legally could (24hrs Plus another 6 hours to 'arrange a flight')
the whole situation is inhumane and I can assure you (under oath if necessary) that I was in a room with at least 30 people at any one time with more coming and going throughout the 2 days I was held. My phone was confiscated and I was unable to communicate with anyone in spanish.
This is a major conspiracy that panama are covering up and I would be happy to discuss it with a journalist to shed some light and get it fully investigated.
Yes i was allowed to go to the bathroom and could have drunk water from the filthy toilet taps but I dont drink water from local taps when i travel and have mostly avoided getting sick by doing so. There were mothers and babies in the room drinking god knows what, but all I can tell you is that Panama has little respect of human rights, or legal process - they just unilaterally expel anyone they like without explanation or proper conditions to care for 'detainees'
Beware of travelling there, or you may be caught in the US sponsored net next time!

Last edited by 20111; Mar 15, 2019 at 8:16 pm