FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car Rental in Cancun
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:06 pm
jfab

AVIS at CUN is a disaster

Just rented from AVIS in Cancun. Stay away!! Here's how it went:
It's the first booth coming out of immigration with a friendly rep who takes you to another rep who takes you to the AVIS shuttle. So far, so good, well organized even, but after that our experience didn't go downhill so much as it hit a wall. I chose the AVIS Preferred desk, because, of course, right? They put a guy there who looked competent but was the opposite. Every click and data entry item required him to ask someone how to do it. Why he needed to do 50 clicks and data entries is the big question. I hadn't prepaid, my bad, but I had made a reservation and selected everything and essentially they had all the info they neededn The guy next to me got done only slightly faster than me and he was at a "prepaid" marked counter. It ended up taking me a full 50 minutes to get my car! It was like the old days, 1990s, renting in a 2nd or 3rd world country -- I've had massively better experiences in the last 10-15 years including in Cancun with Avis! So not sure what happened.
​​​​​​Only highlight: English contract (yes, you do have to sign on paper, apparently even if you completed your booking online) and he gave me good and fast instructions for each page about what I was signing.
Oh, another lowlight: you get a timeshare sales pitch when you think you're finally getting your car! Free breakfast and $100 for a 90-min presentation at a resort. Jeez, we really are back in the 90s. FU, Avis!!
So recommendations: Don't use Avis. If you must, complete booking and prepay before you arrive in Mexico for sure. Maybe try using a voucher program (like holidayautos.com). Personally, I think I'll try EasyWay next time since I've find multiple post here that over the years have recommended it. Certainly I'm NOT going to give AVIS another try

Last edited by jfab; Mar 15, 2019 at 9:28 pm