FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Moorea Master Thread [merged] - Closed permanently
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:55 pm
Steph58

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Should I Pay Up or Take my Chances?

Booked 6 nights at Moorea in April. 1 Ambassador BOGO (inflated rate of course), 1 paid (Virtuoso which includes meals and drink $), 3 points. I thought I'd increase my chances of being upgraded on the award nights if I paid for a few nights. Sent an email with this question: "As an Ambassador I know the paid nights will provide me with an upgraded room. Would there be an additional cost to remain in the same room on the award nights?" Received a very confusing reply from the Assistant Front Desk Manager, who said I have 2 options.

Option 2 is a little easier to understand. Pay $150 upcharge per night and receive guaranteed upgrade to Beach Bungalow (except Virtuoso night which should receive the upgrade, 1 level, gratis). Stay in the same room all nights. Of course need to add the cost of the paid nights as well to that $750.

Option 1 I'm still trying to decipher. I think it's pay +$20 on the 3 award nights to go from Lanai room to Premium Lanai room so that we can stay in the same room for all 6 nights. There would be no upgrade for my paid nights.

Needless to stay I'm not feeling the love here. Maybe it will be better at the front desk when we arrive? I've read many reviews that mention how great the front desk is (all the staff actually) and how so many guests seem to receive upgrades. Maybe this is the new tough love Ambassador (Spire) treatment? Plus there's a link on the hotel's website which minimally describes the construction work in 2019 and a map showing half the OWB will be unavailable for most of the year. My hope was to be upgraded to a beach or pool bungalow, I don't expect an OWB,

Then he proceeded to provide this Ambassador info:
As a Spire Ambassador, please see below the benefits that you will be provided during your stay:
  • Welcome amenities at check-in (choice of points or a drink at the bar)
  • In-Room snacks amenities upon arrival
  • Complimentary Mineral Water during your stay with (1 bottle a day)
  • Guaranteed 4pm late check-out
  • 1'900 XPF Food and Beverage Credit for your stay
900 XPF food and beverage credit = $8.54 USD??? 1 bottle of water . . .

The last thing I want when going on vacation to my once in a lifetime dream destination is to have to print out the Ambassador rules just in case.
So my question is in the title . . . Now thinking I should simply cancel the paid nights, replace them with reward nights (I have plenty of points), and (1) pay the $150/night upgrade to beach bungalow or (2) just stay in the Lanai room.