FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was I being unreasonable - echeck-in/room type change -- walk?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:11 pm
davie355

I disagree respectfully on both counts, forcefully on the first.

Originally Posted by BearX220
it won't kill most of us to sleep in a double instead of a king. Preferences on record (aisle seat, king bed, full-size rental car) get scrambled or go undelivered all the time; they are called "preferences," not "requirements" or "promises," for good reasons.
If I book a King room, having possibly paid a higher rate to get more space & a longer bed, then I expect a King room, and hotels usually deliver with no issues. The lack of guarantee of bed type is basically legalese, covering the property's behind. Absolutely there's a complaint to be had when the room type book (not preferred - booked) is not delivered.

It's the soft bigotry of low expectations to say "it won't kill" us to sleep in a double bed.

Originally Posted by BearX220
A jerk of a desk clerk is a different story
I'd have agreed with you 2 years ago, but being a more seasoned traveler now, I'd say the front desk is not the time to sort that out.

The manager on duty is not that powerful.

I write to the GM a letter using the sandwich method.
Mr or Ms. GM,

I had the pleasure of staying in your hotel last week. I was very impressed by [something]. Please pass along my compliments to that team.

I'm writing, however, to express a serious concern regarding the behavior of your front desk staff. [Dispassionate description.]

I know as a member of the Hilton family you hold your property to a high standard and I hope I have the opportunity to experience that on my next visit. I appreciate your consideration.

Warmest regards,
davie355