FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:17 pm
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BenA
"One dollar ninety point four two."

Seriously, what is the deal with the song on the Diamond Desk hold muzak loop that has this as a random vocal? It doesn't even make any sense!

(I know I've complained about this before, but it still bugs me...)
Googling for it as a complete phrase turned up:

http://oro.open.ac.uk/57447/1/359792.pdf

which is a 339 (!) page PDF of a 1994 PhD thesis entitled "OPTOPHONE DESIGN: OPTICAL-TO-AUDITORY VISION SUBSTITUTION FOR THE BLIND" and buried on pages 133-134 of the PDF (pages 132-133 in the original source):

Several short passages of speech and music have been analysed with a view to deriving the statistics of real sounds. Figure 6.16 shows the PR of an extract from a financial bulletin read by an American lady saying "[The] pound benefitted from the dollar's weakness and rose to the giddy height of one dollar ninety point four two, that's the highest for f[our years, before dropping
back]".
This still doesn't explain how or why that sample made it into the hold music loop but at least could explain what the fragment means