FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:43 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My no-fee AMEX Hilton card, which was converted from the Citi no-fee card, has an offer to upgrade to Ascend for 150k points. But I’ve already had the AMEX old Surpass card a few years ago that I downgraded to (another) free AMEX card prior to the cards were renamed (so I’ve never had an “Ascend” before). Since the offer shows on my Citi convert, how confident can I be that I’ll get the 150k?

It depends very much on what your upgrade offer T&Cs say about that. Some upgrade offers don't have any language about having had the card prior, but some may have such language. So you have to check yours, and see what exactly it says.

And from-scratch (public) offers for these cards these days often mention predecessor cards (explicitly or implicitly), so that why you need the exact wording (in case there is any) to figure out if it covers Surpass or not. For example, even though the SPG card has been renamed to Marriott, signup offers still explain how you may ineligible based on SPG cards you had.