FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:03 am
lightbulbs

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by crackjack
So, I'm planning on a trip out west in the summer, and then flying back to NYC via LAX on J. It appears I can get a MileSAAver award on the way back, with the A321 flatbeds, but the only option for that at the lower mileage amounts (vs paying ~30k additional miles) is getting to LAX early morning and then taking AA184, leaving 4:30pm and arriving 1am at JFK.

While I want to save the miles, meaning scheduling with the 1/2 day in LA (Flagship Lounge access being the kicker), an earlier arrival in NYC would be preferred.

I've read the wiki, and if I understand correctly, I should be able to SDFC for an earlier LAX-JFK flight if any award space on the flight is available, correct? Does it make a difference as to what type of award is available / the cost of the award when the SDFC is requested? (Currently, next-day LAX-JFK flights are 115k.)
I believe officially if you book U you need U to SDFC. I think I’ve booked T before and SDFC using E but IIRC it took more than normal work by the agent to accomplish this. My gut is it would be pretty hard to count on this working with any reliability, not just because of the SAdFC rules but because these flights are frequently J0 or J1 within 24 hours.