FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mea culpa: I just paid full F fare for JFK-SFO on Alaska
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:28 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Not true. If they had a quality product I would not complain that it's different. The problem is not that it's different, is that it's bad.
Based on what, not getting PDBs? The pitch on AS is better than AA/UA/DL F on non-transcon routes. I've flown DL F with 36 inch pitch multiple times in the last year- the IFE is nice but if the seat in front of me reclines they might as well be in my lap. It's very similar to what AS F was before they extended pitch from 36" to 41".

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You make it sound like VX F was flying empty. That's not the case at all. It was generally completely full, or going with 1-2 empty seats, despite no comp upgrades.
I am not saying that at all. I am saying there is a vanishingly small chance that AS executives, having full access to VX financials (certainly more than you or I do), went "durr, we hate making money and we're going to make less money than we could, by not standardizing on VX's F product fleetwide".

I am also saying that when they had an alternate choice (run a transcon subfleet ala the rest of the universe that is B6 Mint-ish, involving a fair amount of capital expense, because pmVX F was getting long in the tooth and would have needed the upgrade, and everyone else gets a product pretty close to pmAS), they chose to standardize on something close to pmAS.

It's amazing, isn't it, that everyone has copied DL's FFP but nobody has clued in that running an 8 person F cabin on SFO-SAN was the most amazing money making move ever, and that everyone would make more money running 60 inch pitch F (with no upgrades, ever) on 45 minute flights?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 13, 2019 at 4:36 pm