FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mea culpa: I just paid full F fare for JFK-SFO on Alaska
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:44 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I assumed if the fare was about the same as the flat-bed seat J fare on UA, AA, Delta, and Jet Blue, that the worst I would get was the somewhat limited recline seats found on the old Virgin America.

Wrong! This was the worst F/J transcon that I've been on ever since flat bed seats came on the route at least 10 years ago. I had seat 1C so didn't even have decent legroom. Lots of things that made this flight terrible:

1. Seats are standard domestic first class with recline no better than in economy.

2. No pillows are provided.

3. In-flight entertainment was done by handing out a tiny monitor with throwaway earbuds as a headset.

4. There was no pre-departure drink service.

5. The first class restroom was the same size as those found on regional jets.

I'm aware that all of you knew this and that I should have too. But I didn't. It was a horrid six hours compounded by feeling cheated.

I complained on the Alaska facebook page and within minutes got this passive-agressive response: " I am sorry you were not satisfied with the first class seats. I am sorry about the service I will share your feedback with the inflight supervisor for the poor service. -Andre" Why share with the in-flight staff? It was management that cheated me.

Thanks for reading this rant. Next time, I'll check before booking!
A critical error.

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Wow is everyone a bit grumpy today? This has been discussed ad nauseam here before. AS is not going to compete with a lie flat, period. What it will compete with is AA/DL/UA domestic first product, even though it doesn't have a pillow or a PDB.

And please....VX is gone, it wasn't sustainable, so lets not use it as the model.
The problem is that AA/DL/UA do not fly their domestic F product on this route. If there had been a reason to do so, they would have offered it. I don't know of any reason why a paying customer would choose AS on a premium transcontinental route. The only reason to fly this on AS is if you're going to pay for Y and be upgraded for free.