FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
24. It's springtime in New Orleans and you've just wound up a project assignment as a consultant. Your good friends in Makaha on the island of Oahu in Hawaii have once again invited you out for a visit with them at their lovely beach house. So you're off to Honolulu. Surprisingly, there's a direct, same plane flight from MSY to HNL which only operates once a week on Tuesdays that perfectly fits your schedule. The service makes two stops en route and a first class seat is available. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.

Hmm... there are not a lot of options between New Orleans and Dallas - I'm tempted to go with MSY-SAT-DAL-HNL, but MSY-SAT was Eastern country. Additionally, as this was a once a week service, and DAL was only "one of the stops", I'm thinking this flight might have routed through Hilo. So, MSY-DAL-ITO-HNL with the jellybean liveried B3F

26. You're back in Memphis for a meeting and need to travel to Knoxville for a follow up dinner meeting. There's a daily afternoon flight from MEM that will get you into TYS just after 5:30 pm which makes one stop en route. Perfect! Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

If not American ("Mur-cn" in the local patois) then United running a Caravelle through Chattanooga.
24. Correct! And obviously this flight did not stop in Shreveport prior to the Dallas Love Field stop! Here's the complete Braniff International schedule for all of its service to and from Hawaii in the spring of 1969....just scroll down past the route map:

Braniff International Airways

Now we have had some discussion in the past concerning BN's Hawaii service in 1969. You'll note their flights to Hawaii from MSY all made a stop in DAL as did some of the flights from MIA and HOU. Other flights originating in MIA stopped in HOU before heading nonstop to HNL while the flights from ATL all made a stop in STL. What was discussed was the possibility of Braniff operating 727 equipment on the MSY-DAL, HOU-DAL, MIA-DAL, MIA-HOU and ATL-STL legs instead of the 707 all the way through. At face value, it appears BN did operate the 707-320 (B3F) all the way through on these Hawaii services according to the timetable. I'm inclined to think they did. Also note the information below the schedule page concerning no local traffic rights between the above city pairs (except HOU-DAL) as well as between HNL and ITO.

25. You know, I think I overheard some gentlemen the other day leisurely strolling through the DFW Airport discussing "Mur-cn" and their international flight to "Yerp". They were wearing cowboy hats.....

Meanwhile, United operating a Caravelle is correct...however, this flight did not stop at Chattanooga but at another nearby city instead. Please wrap this one up!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:07 pm Reason: clarification