FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for currency exchanges (USD and GBP)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:44 pm
Flying Yazata

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Recommendations for currency exchanges (USD and GBP)

There's an abundance of different choices for getting foreign exchange and I've so far either placed an order with my bank (no longer offering the service, so not an option anymore) or looked up some forex bureau abroad. Have done the occasional ATM withdrawal when doing an exchange in person has been impractical.

I do know that the common advice is to usually bring Euros with you abroad and exchange locally for the best deal. However I'd like to stock up abit extra on dollars and Sterlings, because I tend to run out of small denomination notes for tips (I usually pay by card as much as what's meaningful) and the odd small purchase from a kiosk etc. I still have some, but I'd need to restock as I have more travels to come. Last time around at DFW I couldn't pay the hotel shuttle a tip in moderation, because I realised the smallest banknote I had was 20 bucks. Was a bit dull to say just thanks, because I do know when a tip is expected. That's why I want to get enough smaller cash for future travels.

I have plenty of options during this year to exchange dollars and Sterlings both in the US (stops at least in California, Oregon, Florida, Massachusetts and New York) and UK (London), as well as elsewhere in the Eurozone (Spain, Germany etc.), so that's why I'm asking on a broader basis.

I'm looking for advice where would I get the best deal and the smallest exchange fees? As for forex (EUR -> local) in the US and UK, where would you recommend for me to go? For instance all my dollars are currently exchanged in advance, so I've never exchanged in the States any.

Thanks a bunch for your inputs in advance!