FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:41 am
arshi007

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jc94
I've always been able to bid from both paid N and AE N fares. And I've been offered LMUs from both if there is space. And I've never (to my recollection) been offered a chance to bid by say email, I just put my booking code and name into the AC website and looked at the options.

How do you know J is empty? EF or the seat map? If you post flight details here someone can probably tell you exactly what space is showing.

LMUs tend to take fare into account. Upfaring from N should be cheaper than an Economy fare. Whether O vs E vs N or whatever alphabet soup is involved in the Y cabin makes a difference I'm not sure.

Definitely worth looking at an upfare cost. Especially if the flight is P9 and relatively soon.
Thanks for the info, I'm glad to know that N class is eligible for bid upgrade. When I booked the ticket, for whatever reason I could not complete the booking thru the website (it would give me an error at the last step of making the payment). I ended up calling them twice and the second time the CSR said there was some problem getting the seat confirmed so he had to put me on hold for about 30 min, and had to get some other department to release/confirm the seat after which the payment went thru. The actual itinerary is from a DEN-YVR leg in United with the YVR-DEL leg on the 787 PE in N class (DEN-YVR on 13th April and YVR-DEL on 14th morning at 1:15 am). The business class shows practically empty (i'm just looking at the seat map). However when I pull up my reservation on the website, i can select seats and such but bid upgrade is grayed out and shows not eligible
So if its not due to the N class fare, i wonder if its some IT issue since they had problems even booking the seat in the first place.