FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:54 am
The Lev
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by AC7E7
The FAA is a trusted organization, and I will let them complete their investigation.
I think many people are wondering whether the FAA should be trusted or whether it has been "captured" by the companies it is meant to regulate. A couple of data points for your consideration:
  • The FAA was aware of the MCAS but in order to help Boeing maintain its same type rating for the MAX the FAA did not require Boeing to disclose the MCAS, the reason for it or provide additional training or documentation to pilots. In contrast, Brazil did require it in order to get certified in that country.
  • The FAA is mandating changes to the MAX but those required changes don't come into force until April. In effect the FAA has already decided that there is a significant safety issue with the aircraft but thinks it's OK for them to keep flying until the manufacturer is ready with their "fix" in April. I will leave it to you to consider whether this delayed implementation of a mandatory change is being done in the interest of passenger safety or to maximize convenience for the manufacturer and operators of the aircraft.