FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:06 am
CZAMFlyer

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by AC7E7

Just because a group of people or organizations makes a decision, doesn’t mean it is the right course of action. The FAA is a trusted organization, and I will let them complete their investigation.

Regarding Garneau, last I checked, he was a former astronaut. These are people that tend not to panic when faced with a crisis. Let the investigators finish their investigation. If you are worried about flying on the plane, don’t fly on it.
Garneau's background as an astronaut has zero relevance to his decision not to suspend the airplane. His primary role is as a Minister in a federal government, and as such is forced to consider political as well as practical solutions.

It may be telling in hindsight that Garneau opted to hold the line while as-respected civil aviation authorities chose the opposite course of action. Garneau stated in effect, we don't know any details yet, so there's no reason to stop flying. The agencies quoted in the following article: https://www.businessinsider.com/ethi...-3#australia-8 stated in effect, we don't know any details yet, so we're ceasing flying or even allowing them to pass overhead.

Time will tell who's "correct", but I don't believe we can attach a notion of "right vs wrong" to these decisions - for or against.