FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Affordable (Michelin-starred and otherwise) restaurants in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:05 pm
ginmqi

Originally Posted by od_sf
Top quality neta at Toyosu is going to cost the same wether you have zero stars, 1 star, or 3 stars. For example, the maguro served at the first counter at 1* Arai is going to usually be of higher quality than the maguro served at Jiro, Saito or Yoshitake. If they pay top money for the best maguro, of course they are going to pass these expenses on to the customers, regardless of Michelin stars.

Also, Michelin is not exactly all that important in Japan. Tabelog ratings and awards, for example, are significantly more important. The only thing you're guaranteed to see at a Michelin-starred shop in Tokyo is more foreign customers, it certainly doesn't mean it is any better than non-starred restaurants.

(PS: Jiro honten is close to ¥40,000 without drinks these days. I can't think of any 1* shop that charges that much.)

Only you can decide that for yourself. Some say that Yoshitake's otsumami dishes (especially the awabi with kimo sauce) are the best they've ever had. I'm sure it is worth it to them. YMMV.
Wow very interesting and thanks for bringing that up.

I've also read that many travelers, especially Westerners, equate Michelin star = superb quality and > non-Michelin starred eateries...but it seems like the food world, especially in other countries, isn't all about Michelin stars and you certainly have great food without that.

It's almost like an opposite placebo effect. If you go into a place knowing it's Michelin starred, you almost trick yourself into believing it IS better than another place...which may not be starred but MAY ACTUALLY be "better"....

And after having thought about this...and having been in OP situation I've recently come to this conclusion:

Don't chase Michelin stars. Chase great food.