FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Premium Economy an awkward middle ground?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:06 pm
Efrem
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by State of Trance
PEY isn't awkward at all and fills an important niche. There are many people including myself who are willing to pay for better seat and service than Y, but do not feel the need to pay the much steeper price of J all the time...
Couldn't agree more. I've flown VA PE to/from Down Under three times (round trips, total six flights) and have BOS-NRT booked in JL PE for next month. It hits a "sweet spot" between being squeezed into an economy seat and breaking my budget. I might feel differently if I had a bunch of anonymous stockholders unknowingly funding my J class travel, but I don't.

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Here's the problem I have with premium economy. I recently booked two trips to Europe, from Vancouver to London and Paris respectively. In each case, the fare options were something like this:

Economy: $700
Premium Economy: $2500
Business $3500 ...
My experience to Australia and Japan, covering four trips over several years, has been the opposite. The upgrade to PE was reasonable but the cost of the next step up to J was absurd. I've never flown PE over the Atlantic. If I found this price relationship for a trip there I wouldn't buy PE either - but, from Boston, Europe is only about six hours away so I'd probably suck it up in the small seats or try to upgrade with miles.