FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:02 am
Mr. Vker

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
There is also a big discussion on the AA forum about this. Many are debating whether they'd fly on the Max now. My concern is that the second crash-seemingly caused by the same thing-was after pilots would have been briefed and trained on the issue. Ethiopian is certified to fly to the US. I cannot imagine them skipping this important update. Yet they couldn't make the necessary corrections. There are a lot of assumptions there, but I am avoiding the Max for a while. An engineer wrote the post below. I think its worth reading:

​​​​​​"Since its introduction in 2017, the MAX has now established a fatality rate that is at least 1,000 times higher than the 737NG and A320ceo/neo over the same period. It has two 100% fatal hull losses in less than 300 aircraft-years of operation. For context, the DC-10, which is widely regarded to have suffered serious safety flaws in the initial design, still made it over 1,600 aircraft-years of operation before its second 100% fatal hull loss. Something is wrong with the MAX."