FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Puerto Vallarta or Playa Del Carmen - advice please
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:51 am
ITakeItDeep

Ok, I write this at the risk of sounding like a real downer to vacation with - but I swear I’m a seasoned traveler and am not that demanding…

So I went to PDC last month for about 5 days and I did not like it. The trip started off bad on arrival to the Cancun airport (which I haven’t been to for a while). All of the international flights arrive at the same terminal which is basically one long hallway with escalators at the very end that go down to immigration. Downstairs it was a huge unorganized massive mob of hot frustrated people with no discernable line. Ahead of me, there was almost a bad accident on the escalator because the room was so packed that people could not get off the escalator. Luckily someone had the smarts to find the emergency button. Anyways – it took me about 2 hours just to make it to the first immigration counter. So I’ll stop about the airport already.

So I was with a straight friend so didn't do anything gay (except be myself, of course) - but there is really not a gay vibe there at all. I didn’t see many GLBT nor were there any festivities. There were a lot of western restaurants aspiring to be fine-dining that resulted in just so-so food that was expensive. I did take a food tour on the 'Mexican' side of the town - and that wasn't that great either.

For entertainment there's this big long street full of shops all selling the exact same tchotchkes reminiscent of what you would see in the French quarter in New Orleans. For outdoor adventures, like sailing on a boat -- you had to either go all the way back to Cancun or Cozumel – though there were a couple of eco-theme parks close by. We did stay in a nice hotel that was great value for the money – the pool came right to our back door – so we could walk out of our room into the pool.

Finally we all like a nice margarita in Mexico – and trust me, I tested out a lot of places and can tell you the best place to go – Jimmy Buffett's Margaretville at the Cancun airport.