FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:09 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Hoping someone can help on how to see if I can get ORC. I'm familiar with the process on a UA-issued/operated itinerary. This one is a bit different.

Booked a wholly TG-operated itinerary BLR-TPE via BKK on TGs website (UA.com, or any US-based TA wanted double the price compared to TG.com or India-based OTAs). Standard 2 hour connection in BKK, which has always been more than enough. While I realize this might not be convincing of an argument for anyone, but I will admit I booked a higher fare to ensure I earned more PQM (75%). Booked as a TG Q fare, and listed the MP numbers on the reservation for accrual.

Arrived at BLR to check in, and was told inbound aircraft was delayed. No one there (AI staff, who work as TG there) wanted to help re-route, and we ended up departing and arriving a little over 2.5 hours late - was told they would take care of us in BKK. Upon landing in BKK, to be fair, there were lots of agents greeting the flight, holding signs for various connection points with rebooked flight info., including to TPE. Surprisingly, rather than being booked on the evening TG flight, which I half-expected, or one of the two early afternoon EVA flights (which was the other thing I thought they would do), they booked us on the next CI (China Airlines) flight out.

The original BLR-BKK flight posted regularly, but obviously, nothing for BKK-TPE. Is there any way to get credit for this? If so, where is the best place to start for credit? I do have a copy of our original itinerary from TG, a copy of the itinerary after we were rebooked on CI (which includes both the TG flight to TPE that we missed, plus the CI flight we ended up taking), as well as the BPs for both our original TG flight to TPE as well as the BPs for the CI flight.

Any chance we can get credit for this?
Originally Posted by seenitall
I would doubt it, unless TG is willing to offer it to you. ORC granted by UA would likely require the flight causing the miss-connect and rerouting to be either operated by UA or at least ticketed by UA. The only connection you have to UA on this itinerary is that it is the FF account to which you want miles (such as they may granted by the operating carrier) to be deposited. So I think your only recourse is to ask TG if they would offer you ORC. I do not know if they have a policy of doing so.
Wanted to follow up on this - been resolved for a while, but forgot to post the results in here.

So I decided to call MP to see what they would say - I figure the worst that they could say is 'no'. Agent said to send an email in with a description and relevant info., as well as a copy of the original TG tickets/itinerary, as well as the CI BPs that we flew on. Sent all that, as well as the original TG BPs for the segment we misconnected to. Was half expecting that there wouldn't be a response, or a outright denial. 3 days later, I got an email back saying they would work with their Star Alliance partner to receive authorization to credit, and to allow up to 4 weeks, and simply to check my account for the flight credit. To my surprise, about a week and a half later, I was in my account and noticed the flight had been added, dated 4 days after the email response.

So in summary, pays to check, I guess. I wasn't really expecting to be credited based on this all being with a partner, but seems they will credit like UA ORC if they have the information.