FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Relocating to NYC - Sell Me on Delta
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:39 am
rucksack

Originally Posted by The Situation
There really isn't much value to being loyal to a particular airline if you are always going to be in paid international (assuming so for the TCON to SFO as well) since all of the benefits (i.e. lounge access, free luggage, priority lines) you would gain through status are already included in your ticket. I would say pick the flights that provide the best balance of timing, service, cost and amenities.
This is a good point, but I'm not sure I entirely agree.

For one, with $50k of travel per year, you could earn an extra 100k-300k in redeemable miles by having the top tier status instead of a lower tier on multiple airlines.

Furthermore, having good elite status is very valuable when traveling for leisure, especially when traveling with friends or family. Having upgrade certificates alone can be worth thousands of dollars, not to mention other benefits like free upgrades and seat selection.

Finally, I think status matters more than class of service when it comes to handling of IRROPS. You'll be able to get a hold of an agent via phone much quicker and they are much more likely to protect you on an other airline. Of course, if you have both good status and are in a paid premium cabin, you'll receive the best service.