FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:12 pm
Debonaire

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Something quite interesting happened today. For context, I currently have JFK-ORD-NRT on hold, and would like to add an additional NRT-PEK segment. NRT-PEK is available on AS and BA, but not QF. I've been calling in every day but none of the agents can see the space. Today I tried something different: I asked for NRT-PEK separately without mentioning my on-hold reservation, and to my surprise, it's wide open! However, the agent could not add it to the other reservation. It must be ticketed separately. She suggested this was a married segments issue.

I always thought married segments meant that segments would only be available when used as a larger connecting trip. It now appears that it applies in the opposite case as well.

Originally Posted by Happy
2) The window "shade" of 787 is part of our pet peeves with 787. The body is much narrower, even JL eliminates the middle seat of the middle section. We have taken QR's 787 equipped with reversed herringbone seat (far better than CX's, and far better than JL's Skysuit). It is 1-2-1. Yet the seat feels cramp - much less space than QR's old 777-200 with 2-2-2.
I dont know what JL is thinking, at first they used 787 with recliner seats on their KIX routes - we accidentally suffered it once. Then when they introduced the new Skysuite, they made the middle section a 3 seaters! I think only TK's ancient seats still have such set up but then TK's window sides the seats are very spacious and very stretched out. No privacy but extremely comfortable. I would take the comfort any day over the privacy. That is why QR's old 777 2-2-2 to us and to many esp those tall people, is not a bad config even today.
Given us a choice we normally dont take JL because we dont like its config, not even the F (the fixed TV screen is too far for me, and the tray table below impeding my leg movement in sleep on my back position. However this is a trip to Japan, so there isn't much of a choice, esp given we have about twice AA miles than UA miles, which can also do some creative thing if booking a R/T (for a standing alone Excursion segment that is free).
So there appear to be two separate considerations - space and privacy. I'd guess that the JL suites, even on the 787s, are far more private at the windows than any reverse herringbone seat out there. But neither the suites nor the reverse herringbone seats are going to be as good as one of those old fashioned 2-2-2 configurations. Though I suppose privacy isn't quite the concern when you're traveling as a couple.

Originally Posted by Happy
Cruises!
Seems like you get quite the value out of cruises! Using them for repositioning purposes is definitely not for everyone unfortunately, myself included. I also don't think I've ever spent that many days in one "facility". Glad you are enjoying them!