FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:19 am
margarita girl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just completed a 5 night stay and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Arrived late one night and was assigned a king bed Bedouin suite facing the watering hole. I forgot to change my reservation to 2 beds when my friend decided to join me. King bed was immense but thought I’d ask for a suite with 2 beds. I was upgraded to an 1800 sq ft Royal Suite for the final 2 nights. It’s basically 2 identical Bedouin Suites (one with a king, one with 2 singles) with an extra foyer and living room joining them. Wonderful!

The food in the restaurant was outstanding. After the first day, I was offered a vegetarian menu and a healthy eating menu every meal. My friend who is not a vegetarian, raved about the Wagu beef, lobster, prawns, etc.

We took full advantage of the activities by booking 2 every day. On top of that, we took a yoga class, used the gym, did a private tour of the camel farm and did a dune bashing drive (loads of fun). We loved our field guide, Nathan.

(For those who are concerned about animal welfare, the camels seem to be well treated. They are housed in large, clean outdoor pens with shelter from the sun and are bathed every other day. The males and females are segregated and the dominant males are kept in separate pens even though they are all next to each other. These are retired racing camels and many bear barbaric branding and other scars from their previous life but no fresh wounds. They weren’t wearing the nose covers that they wear out in public and many of them gently nuzzled my hand when I reached into the pens. The camel jockey used a floppy piece of black plastic tubing to guide the camels (no sticks or bull hooks). There was even a 2 yr old baby at the farm as one of the female camels arrived pregnant.)

The resort pools are all kept at 31C so very warm for swimming. When we weren’t eating or doing an activity, we did some walking around the property or out to the watering hole, and just enjoyed relaxing by our pool.

Note that the evenings can be quite cool (12-14C) so make sure you bring something warm to wear.

I don’t have a single criticism of this wonderful property or its staff, and it was an absolute steal at 60K pts/night.