FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Accor hotel caught out racially segregating guests
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:30 am
3544quebec

Originally Posted by tris06
I think the hotel is definately in the wrong. But I can kind of guess what this is all about. Being an Australian the ABC is well known to push a very you vs them kind of idea. The privilaged vs traditionally not. Sort of like a ranking system but been turned on its head these days.
Originally Posted by tris06

Anyway the issue might be they get more issues with unfortunately these customers. Not to say they don't get problems with non aboriginal but statisitically there is a significant difference.

So maybe rooms frequented by them are more likely to be damaged often and maybe even violence is a problem. A real tough position because I think the only thing the hotel could do is request a larger deposit. I think that might work because everyone would need to pay it and because it is a large amount you may convince anyone to treat property better.

This is a very sensitive item in Australia.
Also hotel needs to explain itself and 1 staff member is not always reliable as it is possible she/he just hates the hotel while being employed. All possibilities.

Anyway it is normal for me not to be allowed into many hotels/motels (more so cities with less than 5 million population aka countryside) in China as I am not chinese even though I lived here for nearly a decade. Dont hear many people protesting about this. I just accept it and get on with life.

Racially profiling and then discriminating against "these customers" and "them" on the basis of that is racist.

Attacking the medium that reports the issue is called shooting the messenger

Last edited by 3544quebec; Mar 8, 2019 at 1:36 am