FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] HX: LAX-PVG rt in J ~$580ish
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:13 pm
maverikbc

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by flyer89
Check in @ SFO: Y line was long, C line is short, it was alright, the check in attendant got the job done but I didn't received none of the post card "you know what we're talking about" so was kind of sad. Cause that would be a cool souvenir. Lol

Flight experience from SFO-HKG: I believe this is an older version with no air vents. The temperature was cool enough to sleep (I did changed out to my short and thin shirt). I was thirsty!!! Saw flight attendant walked through a few times but she didn't stop at all to offer me any water or drinks. (From reading the posts, seem like they are reactive service type of thing... but honestly if you see someone is up, offer them something? The return flight was exactly that!) Food portions were tiny, and I made a mistake of just ordering the strawberry ice cream. Ordered Dim sum for mid-flight snack and it was alright, tasted better than it look, that's for sure. I asked for ginger ale for drink during my snack and it was served in a tiny glass again, the same with water. Would have preferred an empty glass with ice and a whole can.

Lounge @ HKG: we went to the main lounge located the middle of 200' gate. Shower, amenities (I asked for a shaver), foods, bars, seatings are adequate. Liked the fact that there's a bartender that can make you coffee/ drinks. (They do have soy milk, just ask).

Flight experience HKG-SGN: this one was weird, so just like many peeps here, I was downgraded to Y because supposedly they have no Y cabin.

Return:

Flight experience SGN- HKG: domestic 321 first class seat, service was quick and efficient. Ordered French toast and it was good. Got an hour of nap in.

Flight experience HKG-LAX: Was able to bring my Starbucks drink straight onto the plane even though US bound flight is subjected to "enhanced security". The whole waiting area was roped off, and each passenger/ family required to answer questions before reaching the gate area. No bags need to be checked or opened to be check unlike my previous experiences departing from HKG to US. Airplane's interior is definitely newer than the one we got from SFO-HKG. Flight attendant is a bit more proactive on this leg. She constantly offered water, orange juice. When she saw me woken up, she came right over and told me that they have snacks menu available in case I'm hungry or would like some water. It was a better flight for sure. Oh, two air nozzles make a difference in term of sleeping. I feel more refreshed on this flight for whatever reasons. Maybe tailwind and a quicker flight time help. I was in 16, I think all 3 window seats behind me are all broken, as in they can't go fully flat.

Overall, it was great, comfortable flights for the amount that we paid. Got Gold status to boost (not sure what I would use that for though lol). The only small complaint is the small glassware for drink. If I ever fly them again, I'll make sure to press the call button.
No, i didn't get the card either.

for a dessert, I had a cheese plate, it was exactly the same as a mid flight snack. I ordered a pan fried pork loin in a deep fried whole wheat Chinese bun for my mid flight snack, it was more like deep fried than pan fried, it kind of tasted like katsudon minus rice. I found a little hair, but I just put it aside and didn't make noise. If I were paying $x,xxx, then maybe?

if you wanted another ice cream, don't be shy and just ask. The worst you get is a no. They had 2 cabernet saugvignons, and nothing else for red I found it a bit bizarre, but I ordered each one so I could compare, no problem. I actually think it helps fa if we order multiple drinks at once.

good you've got an lounge access despite the downgrade to y. The bartender makes good cocktails, I liked his mai tai.

on my red eye dps-hkg a330, I saw French toast as well, but I wanted to have my meal after taking off with drinks, so I had noodles and dim sum, which was ok.

hkg-lax, bag checks were only random. What's up with interviews for all US bound pax? If you're a true terrorist, of course you answer cookie cutter way. Wasting everybody's time. Is Starbucks coffee THAT better than free coffee from the lounge?

I didn't remember air nozzle, I found temperature was fine on all flights.

at dps, I was directed to check in with an available y agent, I saw a sign says $300 for an upgrade. It said miles will be credited according to the originally purchased fare.

Last edited by maverikbc; Mar 7, 2019 at 5:21 pm