FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Very angry with both AMEX and Air Canada
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:28 pm
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by mikespimpin
This is why I'm angry with both: AC (which is now showing J6 on the flight, but 17 spaces not occupied in the seat map), why can't they just re-process the upgrade? and AMEX: I make these types of purchases on a semi-regular basis.
Most likely because all the spots that AC were willing to provide to Plusgrade were assigned to other passengers. Do not depend on the seatmap to determine availability. While most frequent or educated passengers will select a seat, there are a large segment which won't choose for one reason or another until check-in. As for why they can't re-process the upgrade, are you asking them to make an exception for you? On what basis? (Sorry, not trying to sound harsh or mean, just trying to get to an answer) For them, they did nothing wrong. Your beef should be with Amex (or more specifically, with their fraud detection algorithms) as they're the ones who declined the charge.

Maybe blame goes to Plusgrade here. "Hey we tried running your upgrade and the card didn't go through, you have 2 hours to provide another card" would be nice. Oh well. Still super bummed out that I'm not even in a chosen seat or good group for a Y long haul flight, hopefully the upgrade gods will throw me a bone for the LMU.
Did you not choose a seat when you purchased the ticket? I don't get bid offers as the routes I fly are usually full (and lately not with AC a whole lot), but I would assume if you picked a seat first, then it would have been preserved. Bidding does not guarantee an upgrade. (heck a bidding opportunity is not always offered) As the addage goes, "Hope for the best, plan for the worst".

Good luck on the LMU (regardless)

And this post was mostly for a rant: make sure all you other FT'ers make a call to your credit card companies and let them know you MAY get a charge soon ! One thing I could have done, that was mentioned here, is that I guess I could have used the "check spending power" for $1370, as that is supposed to flag in AMEX's system that the charge may be coming through. Live and learn I guess...
I'm curious though. Can they do a pre-authorization without Plusgrade requesting it? I can understand a pre-auth requested by the seller, but I've never heard about a buyer doing it. It may also annoy the credit card provider if they did that many pre-auths that didn't go through....