FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transferable, saleable, commoditized seats?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:08 am
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by emma69
Would you really only want to be able to buy from ticket resellers rather than the airlines directly? I know I wouldn't, but if you allow the reselling of the tickets, then companies will buy them, create artificial demand, be able to command a premium price, and in the end the only people better off are the middle men.
concur; this is ripe for abuse
Originally Posted by emma69
The idea of having a 'my plans are flexible' box on booking would be interesting, you could select your parameters (e.g. same day needed but different time ok, or +/- 3 days etc.) and if the airline needs you to, they move you (with appropriate compensation - could take the form of an upgrade, or a future travel voucher maybe?)
this, on the other hand, could be an intriguing approach that might -- to some extent -- reduce the often-frenetic search for VDB-takers half an hour before boarding is supposed to start

some airlines are already occasionally soliciting interest at check-in (both online and at airport kiosks), and I've even received a few emails ("Your flight is overbooked and we are seeking volunteers willing to make alternate arrangements") within the 24-hour window, but I suspect broader implementation would probably complicate things for Revenue Management at multiple levels

Originally Posted by Often1
Everybody wants to turn inflexible tickets into flexible tickets. What OP proposes would damage the flexible brand and fully flexible tickets are often vastly more expensive. Nobody in their right mind would pay the full boat if they could pay less and have the same features.
I think emma69 is suggesting a "limited flexibility" scenario where -- only if necessary -- the airline would offer options within the passenger's parameters ... these tix would necessarily have to be at a higher price point, but perhaps still well below "fully flexible"

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 7, 2019 at 11:14 am