FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:56 am
narvik

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by NYTA
1K Newbie here - my wife just got 1k late last year (I am still a lowly Gold) - she just booked TLV-EWR roundtrip in B thinking it would be upgraded automatically and it was not. Called UA and they told me that it doesn't upgrade for international flights, although in the "benefit" chart for Mileage Plus it doesn't explicitly say anything excepting international flights. Her corporate travel policy allows premium economy on LY on the same route which is much more comfortable than coach on UA (and more expensive than UA B class) so wondering if it's not just best to status match to LY and ditch UA completely for the 8-10 trips a year she takes on this route. Is it true that international doesn't upgrade? For the price of the B fare, you'd think it would. Also betting that LY PL/TPL would upgrade frequently from Premium Economy as LY is like that. Thoughts from the group?
It's for "CPU eligible flights" only. The reason they're not explicitly excluding international flights is because "some" are included (see attached picture).
But your wife would possibly have some GPUs she could apply to the flight, although there would have to be PZ open for it to clear. (The minimum fare class for applying a GPU to TLV-EWR is 'W').
If the policy allows premium E on LY maybe that really is the best option?

Added:
from: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...POS=US#regions

Last edited by narvik; Mar 7, 2019 at 3:12 am Reason: added pic