FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:24 pm
hipquest

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by kipper
Mr. Kipper and I are driving from Richardson, Texas back to BWI on Friday and Saturday. We'll be looking to do quick, take-out BBQ or places that have tables outside generally. Any suggestions along the way? We'll be taking I-30 to I-40 to I-81, so recommendations specifically in Tennessee along I-40 (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and arguments for stopping there as opposed to other destinations), although we could be convinced to stop in Arkansas if there's somewhere along the way, and phenomenal.

We will have one or two dogs with us, and I'm uncertain of the weather, so quick (take-out, drive-thru, or tables outside) is greatly appreciated. My concern with a lot of the places listed here is how long a meal will take.

Thanks!
Too bad you won't be in the Memphis area for MIM BBQ, I'd invite you to have some real competition BBQ from a grand champion team. But when the husband and I are in Memphis (outside of MIM BBQ competition) our go to is Central BBQ, the original on Central with a large outdoor seating area that is pet friendly. They have several other locations, including one in Nashville, that I've never been to, so not sure of setups.

For ribs, my husband thinks Silky O'Sullivans on Beale Street has the best ribs (which is the category we compete in with our tiny NC team and have won at some NC BBQ competitions). Huge outdoor dining area, not sure about pups but they have resident goats

Have fun on your road trip! We'll be doing (part of) the I-81 to I-40 portion in May for MIM