FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:42 pm
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
CSR report - I just added Mrs. Lee as an additional user. Her card arrived with contactless enabled - symbol on the back of the card, note on the letter it was stuck to saying how to use it, etc. A couple days after receipt she even used it successfully at a little shop near us that uses Square of Clover or something (one of the white box/iPad setups).

Cool, now I want one, too. Call up Chase and ask - the rep tells me that my account isn't set up for contactless, it's a gradual rollout, and I should call back in a week. I mention that my wife's card arrived with the logos and all, and she repeats they can't issue me a contactless card because my account isn't set up. I'm assuming this is BS since with Chase, additional cards don't even get separate card numbers, expiration dates, or CSVs - it's literally the same card with a different name. I ask if there's a way for her to activate my account since without tap & pay, I just use Amex everywhere esp. when abroad. She claims there's no way for her to update my account that way, but she does tell me she can order a replacement card, but it'll just be a duplicate since she can't force contactless. I play dumb and say let's try anyway...I guess we'll find out in three to five days who's right, but jeez...does it really have to be this difficult?

Didn't help that the rep was really abrupt and almost verging on rude during the conversation. I had just gotten off the phone with Amex as well (completely separate issue) and it was a night and day difference in personalities.

Also, since I was mentioning it earlier - Mrs. Lee's card came as a plastic CSR, not metal. So it seems that Chase will issue additional cards with whatever material the primary card is in, also.