FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:01 pm
kadabra9

Really should have read in more detail how the Marriott PA redemptions work. Silly me for thinking the process would actually be logical

I had originally booked a 5 night award at St. Regis Maldives when I found availability. Points were deducted, received the email confirm and everything. A few weeks ago, I stumbled into availability for St. Regis Bora Bora for next winter. I didnt quite have enough points in my account so I figured I would book using PA and then cancel reservation at St. Regis Maldives and use the points I got back to make up the difference.

I never received the confirm from Bora Bora, evidently because the reservation isn't complete until the points have been deducted. I assumed that the points would be applied once I had cancelled the reservation at Maldives and the points were added back to my account, but thats not the case.

I called in yesterday to discuss and the agent acted completely clueless, saying that my reservation is only showing the new category 8 rates, and that there is nothing she could do besides open a case. I have the confirm and cancellation numbers, but not the confirm email from Bora Bora. Again, wrong for me to assume that the reservation would complete once I had the required amount of points in my account.

There HAS to be a way to verify that I made the reservation prior to March 5th. I'm assuming that eventually they will be able to look at my account history and confirm that I made the reservation prior to March 5th and honor the rates that I booked at prior to the changes, especially since I have the full amount of points needed now (and did prior to March 5th).

Still, what a headache. I realize I should have been better prepared by getting my certificates prior to March 5th, but lesson learned.