FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:38 am
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Colin
want to know what trumps the CoC?

when AA itself refunds the value of your unflown segment.
Originally Posted by donotblink
True story: two years ago I was in HNL about to fly HNL -> PHX -> ATL. I had a meeting I had to get to in Atlanta, but it ended up getting cancelled. The HNL -> PHX flight was oversold and I took VDB compensation to take another flight. Because I now didn't need to be in Atlanta the next day, I asked to go to HNL -> DFW -> LGA 2 days later. They said I could fly two days later, but ATL still needed to be my final destination, so they SUGGESTED that I do HNL -> DFW -> LGA -> ATL, which I accepted. I ended up getting an ~80 refund. Also a ton of extra EQMs because the ticket went from I to J during reticketing.
there are so many different power centers within AA that couldn't care less about unflown segments, the most important being the refunds team.
the only ones who seem to care about it are some people in this thread.
3B. Eliminate the instances where AA's most important team (that controls access to the coffers) has already refunded the unflown segment. doh!
So wheat? An airline is free to choose not to enforce its harsher penalties.