FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry for Green Card holders
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:59 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by xobile
Can anyone point me to a page stating whether new permanent residents need to satisfy a residency requirement (e.g. 3 years) before being eligible for Global Entry?
I can't offer any advice about Nexus, but applying for GE was among the first things my wife did after receiving her green card. I can't comment if rules have changed, but she had not been residing in the US for three years (or even one) at the time of her initial application. From USCBP's website, I don't see anything that requires a residency period for applying for membership, and it wasn't an issue for her enrolling the first time around.

USCIS transitioned from 8-digit A numbers to 9-digit numbers a number of years back. From some searches, a leading 0 can be added to the 8-digit number for systems that require the 9-digit format. (I couldn't find any official sources to cite here, so it is up to you to verify this information.)

Your biggest problem will be the lack of physical green card. While the I-551 stamp in your passport is as good as having the physical card to prove LPR status, the GE kiosks require that you use your physical green card as your entry document if you are a lawful permanent resident. Even if you apply now, you'll likely have to wait until you have the physical green card in hand to complete the enrollment. Having the physical green card would also clear up any ambiguity about the number of digits because the A number should be represented in a 9-digit format on the card.