FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:43 am
falcon9xr

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Originally Posted by dangerhsun
Thank you so much! A follow up question for you, since you've spent time in Seoul recently. We have 10 days total and I was originally planning on staying 4 nights in Seoul, 4 nights in Shanghai. With points, I can do 4 nights and a 5th night free. Is it worth it to cut short one of my stays in either city so I can take advantage of the 5th night in the other city? For example, 3 nights in Seoul and 5 nights in Shanghai? Just wanted your opinion! Thanks.
I haven't really had a substantive stay in Shanghai, so I'll defer to others on that. I will add that I would recommend utilizing the 5th night free if you're staying on points, just to get a better value. I would throw in that I've never been at a loss for things to do in Seoul, and I've spent over all of my travels maybe a total of 2 months there. Would recommend a fishing cafe if you'd looking for something unique! You can fish for actual fish in an aquarium, once you catch a fish, you weigh it for points, and with your points you can earn prizes! (Don't get too excited though, the prizes are like dish soap and toilet paper and such)

Originally Posted by jaejaez
I cannot stress enough how important it is for everyone to understand the risk of not getting a meaningful upgrade at the Plaza (which happens occasionally for me as plat) - the standard rooms are indeed very small - not as small as the one at the Sheraton Gangnam, but small enough to surprise you. As previous posters have noted, the location is great, facilities are decent, service is excellent, but think twice before booking this hotel if size of the rooms are important for you and you are unwilling to book a bigger room.
I will also add that I haven't had the experience of staying in a regular room at the Plaza, so my experiences are only with an upgraded room. It could very well be that the regular room is really small.

Originally Posted by Handcake
I booked 5 nights on points for June. I don't care if the room is small. I will msg them though and ask about an upgrade before I arrive. Unfortunately I don't think I will make 75 nights by this stay to have the Titanium status to help me out. I usually stay down the street at the Courtyard, but I want to try out the Plaza's lounge and see what the feel of the hotel is.

The biggest reason I chose this was in the reviews the hotel got a lot of props, and I booked in at 25k a night before it bumped to 35k a night. I would rather be across the street at the Westin if I was burning 35k a night (or at the JW down in Gangnam - which I did book 5 nights for in June too lol)
Did not know that the Plaza bumped up to 35k for points. At that category I would probably do the Westin or JWM Seoul, since they're both at 35k also. I have not personally stayed at the Westin or JWM Seoul, but everyone seems to speak very highly of them.

Originally Posted by Aventine
Excellent advice.
Definitely book what you can live with and don't go at Korean holiday times. Korean Staycationers will often split the cost of a larger room or suite between 4-6 people. Hence, taking it out of the upgrade pool.
Yes, I experienced the Korean Staycationer Effect on my past trip. My wife and I have agreed to never visit Korea during a Korean holiday in the future, lol.