FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New York City Day Trip; Arrive EWR. Should I Depart from EWR or LGA?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:33 am
jbfield

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Thank you all for our suggestions.
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I think the much more important question is whether you have luggage and specifically checked luggage. If you do and can get away with checking it at EWR (multiple factors to consider in making that assessment), that creates a strong vote for EWR.

Actually, I'll do better than that for you. SQ has an interline with Porter and they will interline across separate tickets still. I would 100% book PD and have SQ interline your bags. Can just drop at connections area after customs, and then you have a much easier day.
They interline? That's great! I had got the impression from the SQ website that they don't interline with Porter.
I expect to have 1x check-in luggage, and would intend to drop-it off as soon as I can. If that means transfer it straight onto Porter super. Otherwise I would end up storing it near Penn Station, so that would probably be where I end up starting my journey to either airport.

My trip is not until the summer so I have some time yet to do my day-trip planning. Right now, I expect I'll do a lot of walking to take in the views, perhaps head down to the Wall Street area by metro, then walk to and over the Broklyn Bridge. If I feel I have time I'll head up to Central Park and back again (by metro). I'll keep The Pub Room in mind; I think this will be most heavily influenced by my jetlagged stomach on the day.

Originally Posted by BearX220
If you want to spend some time in Manhattan while in transit, book the 400pm LGA departure and use public transit to get out there. From Midtown it is quicker and cheaper to reach LaGuardia than Newark.
With a 600am landing at EWR, you could be out of Customs and into the city via train or bus by 800am, easy. You would have until 130p or 200p until you have to head to LGA, which you can do via the subway (7, E, F, M, R lines) to Roosevelt Avenue, then transfer to Q70 bus... or direct M60 bus. Taxi / Uber to LGA may be a less fast option owing to construction-related congestion around LGA access roads.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Far from it. If you are within walking distance to Penn Station (or on the 1/2/3/A/C/E line), it costs you all of $15.50 to get to EWR. That is without having to roll the dice on whether or not the bus gets stuck in traffic. I'd recommend EWR in a heartbeat over LGA - and I say that as someone who works in Midtown East, which theoretically makes LGA an 'easier' trek.
This is the sort of thing I was wondering because reading up there seems to be strong views for either. My normal preference, anywhere in the world, would be to take a train over a bus because it's got a known schedule and duration. But does the train actually run regularly to schedule or is it often late? And do the security lines at EWR outweigh any time saving during the commute? I picked-up some horror stories about queuing at EWR, but I don't know how true they really are.

Right now I spotted a FlexiFare on Delta/Westjet for USD $124 (to YHZ), so I have secured that - but obviously I can cancel it for not much and switch back to Porter at EWR if the predictability of getting back there lets me maximise my time. in the city.

Last edited by jbfield; Mar 6, 2019 at 8:44 am