FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Other options besides Eurail?
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:03 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carsearch1982
Hello, I will be traveling to Europe in a couple of months. I have done a lot of research, youtube vids, asked around and I'm stuck on weather to buy a Eurail pass or not. I'm trying to hit up about 7 or so countries (Vienna, Budapest, Prague, possibly Germany, Amsterdam, Paris, and maybe a few in between areas) in Europe during a 30 day or so trip.

When first researching it looked like the 7 or 10 day Eurail global pass would my best bet. (somewhat cheap for the amount of traveling I wanted to do, plus the flexibility, and also being able to see a lot of europe and being able to spend a night on a train saving some money/time on an airbnb for that night) But then I saw how cheap ryanair and easyjet flights inter-country were. I'm aware of their extra/hidden fees as well and that shouldn't be a problem for me. After figuring flying into london from the united states and then flying from london to lisbon and lisbon to madrid. It seemed like half my trip would be flights making a Eurail pass not worth it. But at the same I want to still ride the train and see things throughout the country on a train that I wouldnt on a plane. So the question is how can I still travel by train without buying a Eurail pass but 1) not having to spend $400 or so dollars for a global pass to go through different o....ries. And 2) Have the flexibility of booking these train trips when I get into Europe? So basically without the expensive eurail pass and being able to book the individual train rides through countries when I want to actually take them and not having to pre-book them now?

Thanks.
Between Amsterdam and Paris you are forced to use Thalys trains (extra fee/reservation). For many High Speed trains there is limited availability for Eurail Pass holders. Many night trains have only 2nd class--not as nice as 1st class for sleeping.
Ryanair and EasyJet fly out of remote airports in most instances adding a lot of extra time to your flt.
When I first went to Europe in 1964 it was very easy, you bought either a 1 month, 2 mo or 3 mo pass, valid on EVERY train, reservations were included, plenty of 1st class compartment space (even on night trains)--except for trains to/from Scandanavia.