FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Giving Birth in Canada
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:02 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jc94

While there are other forums likely with some examples, I have to say I’d be consulting a immigration lawyer. It’s too important to take risk on and if you are able to pay for the birth, I imagine a lawyer is within your price range.

That’s my advice here anyway. PM me if you’d like some links or contacts. Good luck.

My advice is that paying an immigration attorney is generally a waste of money in such circumstances if having all the evidence/docs as mentioned by the relevant consulates/embassies and the child is the genetic offspring of each of the two parents to be listed on the host authority birth certificate and the US CRBA. Very few US citizens giving birth abroad have anything to gain from consulting a US immigration attorney when it comes to the birth of a child abroad, as long as they can do basic online research using the embassy/consulate websites and state.gov and aren’t using surrogacy, or sperm/egg donors to have a child. The USG puts out enough readily understandable material to make this area pretty easily understood without anything to gain from spending money on an immigration attorney for such a routine ACS matter at US embassies/consulates.

The US tends to be both sexist and pro-wedlock-births when it comes to how US CRBA applications are handled. Fortunately, the courts struck down the sex-based 1 year vs 5 year US presence rule for most citizens giving birth abroad; but it came with moving the rule to 5 years for all such births after the court ruling.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 6, 2019 at 5:32 am