FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:41 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Great to hear that Michelin is coming back to LA - long overdue. I wonder how Melisse (my favorite restaurant in these parts) stacks up; I believe it had 2 stars before they decided to stop coverage of the region.
We ate there at the end of November. It was a huge disappointment both food and service wise. It was nothing like our experience a few years before. I wasn't surprised that barely a week later they announced that they were closing.

Here is my Facebook post about its closing:
Last night I received an email from Melisse that they will be closing on March 3 and will be reopening in the summer with a new concept.

A few months ago, I read rumors that the restaurant's lease was up this coming January and there was speculation that it will close. [My wife] and I have been there before to celebrate her birthday, but [our daughter] has never eaten there and it was on her bucket list. I made a reservation for when she was going to be home when she was on a week's break from her residency at [a children's hospital].

Most of the food was well prepared, but the service was not up to par for a restaurant of that caliber and price range; it did not measure up to what I remembered from our prior visit. The captain who took our order was very conscientious of dietary restrictions and accommodated every one in our party; however, after that things went south. It was hard to get a waiter's attention when we needed something; at comparable restaurants, they seem to be able to read my mind and come to our table when I want to ask for something. At least half an hour passed between our finishing one course and clearing the table and the serving of the next course. Mid way through the seven course set menu, I asked them to speed things up; that was to no avail. After the second dessert, more than three hours after we sat down, I explained that my daughter was tired and had an early flight the next morning, and I asked for the check. It was brought promptly, but they never offered or brought the after dinner chocolates and petit fours that they normally serve at the end of the meal. I was going to ask to have those packed to go on our way out, but neither the hostess nor the maitre d were anywhere to be found.

Sad end to what used to be one of the best restaurants in the Los Angeles area.