FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] HX: LAX-PVG rt in J ~$580ish
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:57 am
EVA777

HX needs to get a handle on the nonfunctional "new" seat issue. Was on B-LGE from LAX-BKK, same aircraft both legs. LAX-HKG I started out in 12K, that seat failed about 3 hours into the flight - no power. There were 3 alternative seats available all with issues. 17A and 18A - no recline but fully functional IFE. 19A with a working seat but no IFE volume. I don't use the IFE much so 19A it was. No compensation of any kind offered and I did not ask, as I reminded myself of how much I paid for my ticket.

HKG-BKK once again B-LGE and this time I had 18A. They let me board and sit down without a word, full well knowing 18A was inoperable. I addressed this with the crew prior to taking off. J was completely full except for 17A. They manually reclined 17A after take off so I could stretch out. Returned to 18A for landing. I was offered 150HKD discount on duty free without asking. I did complain about the lack of maintenance / caring especially on a 6 month old aircraft. This aircraft was on the ground for 4.5 hours between flights and the only seat that was working after was 12K.

I know others have mentioned the nonfunctional seat issues on the new configurations. I find it hard to believe HX finds this acceptable and I wonder if this is where the current financial problems come into play. I have flown millions of miles and it has been years since I've had a seat issue and it really wasn't an issue. Delta changed my 1st class (domestic) seat to another and left my original seat empty. The only other issue I can remember is a wet carpet problem due to a leak in the galley on an EVA flight which was solved by laying down multiple comforters. In my 20+ years of traveling this single aircraft (at only 6 months old) had more issues than I have ever personally experienced.

If I had paid $X,XXX instead of $XXX I would be highly irritated with the seating marry-go-round along with their disinterest in fixing the problems. I was actually looking forward to flying HX again in the future to use my upgrade certificate and using miles for a free flight, now I may rethink this. I'll wait and see how my return trip goes.

I still do appreciate them honoring this deal but if they want to compete for real business class travelers paying a premium then they need to get their act together. Until then, they will continue to bleed cash, cut routes, and shed aircraft until there is nothing left.