FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Airways: Extortionate and Spiteful
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:43 am
Goaguy

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Ditto
I see no problem with that, they are not the only carrier in Africa doing this, you can't reasonably try and compare it with what you might be familiar with from the European market.
This is a very true and fair statement if the market was open for all. But you forget that the African airline market isn't free and open but very bureaucratic and corrupt. Each country will try to keep their competitors out on purpose to support their national airlines, in this case the Kenyan government delayed Fastjet's entry into Kenya with quite a few years. Most of Fastjet's initial business plans couldn't be carried out because of this, in my opinion it was a large contributing factor to their collapse.
Also LX and MS operate with stops in NBO and then onto DAR, but none of them have permission to carry passengers between these destinations (5th freedom flights). I am certain that ET would have done ADD-NBO-DAR flights by now if they had the permission to do so, or perhaps so would QR and KL which currently fly to DAR with a stopover in JRO. Or TK that flies to DAR with a "stopover" in LUN.
QR, KL and ET all currently operate flights between JRO and DAR/ZNZ in Mainland Tanzania, but don't have permission to carry passengers domestically.