FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:02 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I am always dazzled by 24L's artistry. Amazingly edible. I too am not a fan of shellfish, especially on airplanes and am inspired by 24L's quick fix to a menu failure.. (If you see how they farm shrimp and other shellfish in Asia, trust me, you won't ever touch shellfish on an airplane again.) The appetizer YVR-NRT is also the suspect lobster endive thing. There is a Tabouli salad, grilled zucchini, peppers on the light menu. Do you think that the FA would allow me to substitute the tabouli instead of the lobster appetizer? Or would I get the look of, oh you are high maintenance and a no?

Awww, thanks. Hardly artistry me thinks.

While AC has a nice assortment of less than pleasant cabin crew, I still consider myself lucky when I fly with an awesome Galley FA. They seem to work really hard on TPACs. Some are masters in the galley and can do great things with what AC gave them to work with.

I try to read the temperature of the crew to see whether I should approach (not sure if they will smile or bite), and if I sense yes, I tell them I don't eat shellfish and ask if I can have what I would have chosen for my mid-flight light bite. I don't do it that often as sometimes the salad and main meal are just fine and I skip the appetizer. (Sometimes, I just write a note, thank them in advance and make my request.)

On AC 63, I lucked out with an awesome Galley FA. And she was hilarious. I asked. She said sure. I'm happy having it in the little bowl it comes in, yet when the tray arrived, she had plated it.

It's the little things you know and I loved my appetizer.

As for AC's obsession with prawns and lobster, they can serve it but I'm not the only one who won't eat it. Most of the time, there are options.
I once took the raw veggie and hummus light bite, ate the humus and put the raw veggies in the mid-flight noodles. Another time, I put the veggies in hot water and ate them with the pre-arrival chicken schnitzel. I assume if the these food items are available on the flight, I can eat them how and when I choose.

Let us know if you swap appetizers and if you are challenged by the crew.