FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are customer service people so rude and unhelpful?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:02 am
davie355

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
If you ring up and they say "Hi, Airline XXX, this is John speaking" you say "Hi John, my name's Jane, can I ask you about something? I'm a little confused about the pricing on this..."
Agree on "Hi" but the rest could get on the nerves of an agent whose performance reviews are based on call time.

Personally, I do the minimum to convey to the agent that I'm a patient and reasonable person. Unless they start asking me about March Madness games, I won't inject non-call related conversation.

Originally Posted by RAAng
I was customer facing back in the day in a nonairline business. I believe it is largely training. Just as a trivial example, it was drilled into us to thank the customer, and we did. It was reflexive.
Agree on training, although I think it's not customer service training per se. It's basic etiquette training that is taught in kindergarten. If "please" and "thank you" aren't reflexive by the time one enrolls in 1st grade, there is a steep uphill battle to remediate that.