FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying on separate OW tickets and missing connecting flight
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:06 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
As a matter of fact, I don’t think we’ve established the OP would in fact have misconnected as things played out (they boarded the IB flight and found out about a further delay so offloaded themselves) or that, had they thrown themselves at the mercy of FCC agents at Heathrow they wouldn’t have at least been rebooked.
IB3172 scheduled 1450-1620 actual 1707-1838
AY1342 scheduled 1925-0015 actual 2021-0114

In the event, the actual time between flights was 1:43.

But more importantly, no rebooking at LHR would have helped him. After the booked LHR-HEL flight, the next LHR-HEL flight would have been this morning: AY1340 scheduled 0730-1225 actual 0750-1236 - so they would have missed the "early morning business meeting" today.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Or what is the point of the OW alliance ...
I think the point of the OW alliance (in this respect) is that you should get pretty seamlessly looked after if you are truly connecting - ie you have one ticket covering both parts of the journey. You can't split it up to save yourself money, and then expect to claim all the benefits anyway: when all airlines are feeling the effects of passengers scrimping and saving by any means possible, the days of such generosity are largely gone. Dare I say it: it's like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.