FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - THAI Airways Reports Huge 11.5 billion Loss
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:38 am
paolo64

The things they COULD do: prune back the bloated bureaucracy, go ‘all in’ with ONE model ( eg, 787/350 for both long and regional), get out of domestic entirely through Smile, show the hiso freeloaders the door once and for all, spend some time on modelling/research in route planning ( as opposed to the “wouldn’t it be nice if we flew there”approach), try to stay even ball-park competitive in respect of fares ( not my experience from looking yesterday: BKK-CDG Finnair 77,000, Thai 114,000...of course I’m going to add 2 hours to the journey to save more than 1000 USD; but for 200 extra I’d probably go with Thai , but it never happens these days).
The WORST thing they could do: tinker with ROP via ‘enhancements’. The program probably is too generous as it stands. IMO, they’re stuck with it because if the decrease benefits then members will walk .
What they WILL do: make a few board appointments , potter around the edges and continue to hold out for govt bail out funds. As it stands, the govt’s ‘golden’ share is worthless and there isn’t going to be any miraculous turnaround.
It’s unfortunate, sad even, but unsurprising.