FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:14 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The nail in the coffin for me was not clearing on a GUM-HNL flight after being number one on the waitlist with 4 seats left. They slowly got sold one by one from 3 hour til departure until 45 mins when the flight showed fully booked. I never was even offered a buy up.

That was in December 2017. I didn’t even try to use my 6 GPUs in 2018 and just bought the cheapest biz class for my routings. I enjoyed a mix of CX, DL, UA, MU and BA last year. I’ll continue the same this year. They have every right to take away the benefits of 1K, just as I have every right to spread my money around.
one doesn’t need to be marketed an offer to buy up in order to buy up. Many customers inquire about buying up without an offer being made to them. And many do. Next time, if you’re contemplating and haven’t been solicited, you can ask if there is availability, and what is the price. Guessing, bring #1 on the list, you were not looking for a buy up chance, but it’s possible