FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:08 am
AntonS

Should I bother trying to use GUC on Air France (SEA-CDG)?

I am looking at AF SEA -- CDG in about a week (connecting further in Europe). J is half empty according to the seatmap, but DL says no upgrades available from PE to J and not possible to wait list on partner flights.

Should I bother paying extra $200 to get upgradable S/W fare or just stick with A? Is it possible to apply GUC at the gate in SEA?

Another option is DL metal but both AMS and CDG flights have only middle seats lefy n C+. I may have a better chance of clearing DL, but with only 5-6 J seat left maybe not much better. If DL had good C+ seats available I would not even think about it and book DL -- AF PE is not that great.

DL Y and AF PE cosy about the same ($3000+ roundtip to my final destination in Europe which is absolutely insane, but I guess it's a school break or whatever).

I prefer VS to AF in PE and would book it in a heartbeat + separate ticket from LHR (been there, done it), but VS flights SEA-LHR are sold out completely, just insane.

So my options are

1. Pay extra $200 for S/W on Air France and hope upgrade space will open up.

2. Stick with A. At least I am in PE. And in this case would it make sense to book as AF flight number to get more miles?

3. Book DL metal non C+ or C+ middle and hope for better C+ seat or upgrade space to open up.
​​​

Last edited by AntonS; Mar 3, 2019 at 11:21 am