FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:32 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Don’t understand back to back ticketing rule. Why does there have to be a minimum stay. I have gotten around the rule by flying other airlines in the sequence.
Yes, it's most likely to deal with the business travelers that really don't care so much on costs since it's going to be expensed anyway. Also, it may be a joint marketing agreement with the local tourist boards to draw weekend traffic to the area. Yes, you can play games with mixing/matching tickets and if you are lucky enough to have multiple airports to choose from, it's not hard to get around it. Personally, I check odd routings when I am very cost sensitive. For instance, I needed to be in FL for a class. At the time AA was offering bonuses for RTs out of NYC, so I booked a ticket from SFO to NYC and a second ticket from NYC to MCO, all legitimate, meet the minimum stay between flights (nothing says you have to stay at the destination, just don't go back to the same airport) and got the bonuses for both! Win win in my book.