FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Merchants Reach Credit Card Surcharge Rights Agreement [Effective 1.27.2013]
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:36 am
mikesyr18

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
The US still has some of the highest mobile phone costs in the world. In other countries with actual mobile competition (read: 4+ viable carriers), rates tend to be at least half of what they are here, if not lower.

Also, T-Mobile was only able to be as big as they are now because of their failed merger with AT&T. Turns out a significant breakup fee can give a carrier enough money for needed network upgrades.
I think the size of this country plays a role in that. There's a lot of land mass to cover, including raised elevations. You then have a higher population so increased bandwidth is necessarry. You also have to remember the government plays a hand in your higher prices as well with their taxes and fees.

Right now I'm paying $50 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 15GB of data on Verizon.

I feel like those were a thing before Durbin.
In the article I cited on my last post - it states:

The total number of banks offering free current accounts fell by 50 percent between 2009 and 2013. In comparison, fee-free banking actually increased at banks not subject to the Durbin Amendment.
And...

(2) More than doubled the minimum monthly holding required on fee-free current accounts between 2009 and 2012, from around $250 to over $750.
(3) Doubled average monthly fees on (non-free) current accounts between 2009 and 2013, from around $6 to more than $12.